The Tithehouse of Basse Nendaz
A old building at the centre of the village
A historical building
In 1665, the commune of Nendaz was attached to that of Hérémence to create the great tithe of Nendaz-Hérémence. In order to install its governor, the "Diète", the governing body of the time, bought the old tower of the "metralie" of Basse-Nendaz. This tower was reconstructed in 1505 by the architect U. Ruffiner who also built the Saint Théodule church of Sion.
In this building, also called the Great House, was a hearing room a prison and a torture chamber. Those sentenced to death were kept here before being taken to the gallows in the square near the chapel of Saint-Sébastian.
Around 1880, the commune sold the Tithehouse to a private buyer.